Friday, December 31, 2010

Nature's Alphabet~Our last nature walk, 2010

~Click on photo to make larger~

Baby, it's cold outside!  It's 44 degrees but we didn't let that stop us from our very last nature walk of 2010! We bundled up with warm coats, gloves and  hats. When we first stepped out the door I commented to both Chris and Maggie that it didn't feel as cold as I thought it was.  By the end of our walk I changed my tune.  My nose was frozen, red and a little numb!  It was still a wonderful walk!  And, even though it was cold, the cool, crisp, clean air was amazing!  

The purpose of our walk was two-fold.  The first, and main reason was so we could get out as a family and enjoy doing something we love to do together.  Being outside enjoying the beautiful scenery and discovering nature together.  The second was to start a new project we want to work on.  We have decided that we want to start discovering the alphabet in nature.  How fun and challenging will that be?

The idea is to find the alphabet in two different ways.  The first way is to find the actual letter of the week somehow created by nature.  And the second is to find things that start with that letter.  We actually scored on both accounts.  I was pretty surprised!  I am betting it wont be so easy each week!

So, here is what we found!

~Click on photo to make larger~

This is the "A" that Maggie found.  I was so proud of her!  We were walking through a pretty wooded area.  Lots of trees and twigs all over.  Maggie yelled out "There's an A"  And sure enough, there it is!  I was pretty proud of my girl!  I admit, I probably would have walked right by it without thinking twice!

~Click on photo to make larger~

My "A" wasn't such an exciting find, but I was pretty happy I found one!  These are the leg frames of a picnic table!  

We also found acorns and an old apple tree that had a bunch of fallen apples on the ground.  Pictures courtesy of my sweet 6 year old budding photographer!

~Click on photo to make larger~

~Click on photo to make larger~

We also found lowercase i, j and r!
I will save those pictures when we get to those letters!

I am excited that my good friend Gabby from The Work of Childhood is joining in on the fun with her son, Cheeky.  Today they searched for letters too!  Go check out what they found!

If anyone else wants to participate, I would love to see what you find!  Please leave a comment on this post with your link.  I would love to link up with you and see if we can get more people to play!

Wishing you and your family a safe, prosperous New Year! 
 May 2011 be a magical year for everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails