Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Yummy Zucchini Cake!

Since we finally started getting zucchini’s, I have been dying to make some zucchini bread.  Maggie has never tasted it (that I can remember) and Chris doesn’t like it.  So I knew once I made it I would have to freeze one bread and eat the other sparingly! 

Homesteading August 2011 002

Well, I ended up only getting one piece of the first loaf and the one who refused to eat it (Maggie) ended up eating 2 pieces and then ripping off a big hunk when I wasn’t looking.  And the one that doesn’t like zucchini bread (Chris) at his fair share too! 

I have to admit, it was pretty tasty.  They will be bummed to find out that I froze the second loaf!  :)

Homesteading August 2011 003

How did I make this tasty bread you ask?  I used the recipe from Southernfood.about.com as my base and changed it to our liking.  Here is what I came up with!

2 cups shredded raw organic zucchini
1 3/4 c organic coconut palm sugar
2 cups of flour (I used 1 white, 1 wheat)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 farm fresh eggs
1 cup coconut oil
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup organic dark chocolate chips

Put zucchini in strainer and press or squeeze with hands to get some of the excess liquid outs.  In a mixing bowl beat together eggs, sugar and oil together.  Stir in the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, walnuts and choc. chips, mixing just until all the ingredients are combined.  Add drained zucchini.  Mix well.  Pour into 2 greased and floured 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pans.  Bake for about 55-60 minutes at 350, until wooden toothpick or cake tester inserted in center comes out with very little or no crumbs clinging to it.

The coconut oil was really nice, but had I had applesauce in the house I would have used that instead.  A little cheaper to use!

This turned out really tasty and moist.  And for two people who were kinda “poo-poo” about it to begin with, it was a big hit!  There is one piece left of the first loaf, and Maggie claimed it as breakfast! 

So thankful to our garden for supplying us with yummy veggies and to our chickens for giving us eggs!  There certainly is something a bit more fun about eating something you have baked from something you have grown/raised!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails