Sunday, January 23, 2011

Stir-Fried Cabbage with Red Chile Peppers, Cashews and Peas

It seems so long since I last posted.  I guess it has been awhile.  So many things have been going on.  And for once I am happy to report it's been mostly good things.  With the exception of fighting off colds-you know the kind that just wont leave and comes back full force (which is what we are dealing with now!), we had Maggie's birthday party at the gymnastic studio with her school friends, we (mostly me) have been busy working at Maggie's school and we found a house to move into and I got a job!  Hallelujah!  I can't even tell you how good it feels to say that!  It's been really, really hard on us as a family living in this temporary home, but even harder not knowing how we were going to find a home and be able to afford it without funds coming in.

The best part about the job is it is part time so I will be able to play in our new yard.  I can't tell you how excited I am about the yard!  It is a large, large yard.  Lots of room for planting, gardening and yes, chickens.  We can have chickens and not have to hide them.  I can't tell you how happy I am about that.  There is already a great little structure there that we will turn into a coop, we just need to build boxes and fence it in. There are also a lot of fruit trees and walnut trees. It's going to feel good to produce our own food again!  I have missed it so much!
The house is adorable.  It is perfect for our family.  And, it has a huge jetted tub.  I would live in a barn if it had a jetted tub!  But one thing I am really excited about is it has a new convection oven.  I can not wait to get my hands on it and start baking!  Bread, bread and more bread!
We still aren't sure when we will be in, but we know it will be any time between now and 3-4 months.  In the meantime, we are able to go work to make our garden and prune the trees!

Because I am feeling lousy with this darn cold (just got it today and I start work tomorrow!) I am leaving this post short and sweet.  But I will leave you with tonights dinner recipe.  It was super yummy so I thought I would share!

                                                                     ~click on picture to make larger~



Stir-Fried Cabbage with Red Chile Peppers, Cashews, and Peas
makes 10 servings

3 T extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 t cumin seeds
1 t ground turmeric powder
3 dried chile peppers
2 c toasted unsalted cashews
1 (3 1/2 pound) head of cabbage, cored and finely chopped
2 c frozen peas
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste (we use Pink Himalayan Salt)

1.  Heat oil with the cumin seeds, turmeric powder, and chile peppers in a large pot or wok over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the chiles become smoky (about 3 minutes)

2.  Add the cashews and cook for 2 minutes, to brown the slightly and heat them up.

3.  Add one-half of the cabbage and all the peas; stir to combine with herbs.  When, after about 2 minutes, the cabbage starts to wilt, stir in the remaining cabbage.  Cook, stirring often, until the volume has reduced by one-third and the cabbage looks somewhat browned around the edges (about 15 to 30 minutes, depending on your pot or wok).  Mix in the salt and serve warm or at room temperature.

We served ours with chicken.  We were both "iffy" about it because neither of us have really had cabbage outside of coleslaw, so this was a pleasant surprise.  We may even plant some in garden!
Sorry for the not so good picture, but I am miserable right now.  Maybe I will retake it next time we make this, because we are making it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails