Monday, October 18, 2010

Focusing on what you DO have

The last couple of months since we moved out of our house have been very hard.  I had high hopes, was full of excitement, plans and dreams.  But since we aren't in the new house yet, and not knowing when it's going to happen, it's really hard to be so positive.  Especially when you are in a place you don't want to be.  Don't get me wrong, I am thankful to have a roof over our heads, but it's not comfortable.  It's not "home".  Despite how we try to make it home, we all feel it.  It's just not. 

I have found myself being very negative lately.  It's so easy to focus on what you don't have.  It's easy to be bitter and angry.  I wish it wasn't so easy.  Even having these thoughts brings me down.  Don't get me wrong, I am not having these feeling just because we aren't in our house yet.  There are so many things right now that are going wrong.  It seems like we are a snowball rolling down a hill.  And the problems escalate and just get bigger and bigger.    Eventually that snowball has to get down the hill and when it does it will break open and things will get better.  It has to!

So, I have decided to try to turn my thinking around and think about the positive.  Think about what we DO have.  Every time a negative thought pops into my mind I have made a commitment to follow it up with two positive thoughts.  I figure eventually it's got to turn around, right?  See....it's already happening....that was pretty positive, right?  :)


I know I can't be the only person who goes through this. What do you do to turn around your thoughts when you get in a funk?  Do you purposely do something to change your thoughts or do you just ride it out?  I would love to hear what other people do to get through hard times.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails