Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

I have been wanting to bake something yummy for days now. I just haven't had the time to look for something OR to make it! So over the weekend I took a few minutes to poke my head around the 'net. One of my first stops was at Nourished Kitchen. I just KNEW I would find something there that fit along with what I was wanting to feed my family. Yummy AND healthy! I was right. Within a few seconds of being there I stumbled upon a recipe for baked oatmeal. Besides yummy and healthy I needed it to fit into two other categories: breakfast and snack food.


The smell while it was baking was fantastic. Let me say that it is warm enough to have the windows open already this morning, but I kept them closed because the smell was so delish that I wanted to trap it as long as possible! lol

I'm excited for Maggie to get up this morning! We both enjoy a nice steaming hot bowl of oatmeal in the morning, I think we are going to really enjoy this!


Delicious!

Ingredients:

■1 pound steel cut oats
■1 cup walnuts, or other nuts
■2 tablespoons yogurt, kefir, whey or buttermilk for soaking
■dash unrefined sea salt
■6 pastured eggs
■2 cups whole, fresh milk
■up to ¼ cup maples syrup (optional)
■½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
■½ cup dried unsulfured apricots, diced
■2 tablespoons cinnamon
■¼ cup coconut oil, plus extra for greasing baking dish

Method:

1.Pour the steel cut oats and nuts into a ceramic container or mixing bowl.
2.Add enough filtered water to completely submerge your oats and nuts. Add a dash of salt and a two tablespoons of fresh yogurt, whey, kefir or buttermilk.
3.Allow the oats and nuts to soak, covered, overnight in a warm place in your kitchen – about eight to twelve hours.
4.After the mixture of oats and nuts has soaked overnight, dump them into a colander to drain and place the mixture back into the ceramic container or mixing bowl.
5.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 13 x 9-inch rectangular baking pan with coconut oil or another wholesome fat of your choosing.
6.Meanwhile beat together eggs, milk, maple syrup (if you’re using it), until well-combined and frothy.
7.Pour the mixture of eggs, milk and maple syrup over the soaked oats and nuts, stirring well to combine into a porridge-like mixture.
8.Gently fold dried fruit, cinnamon and coconut oil into the porridge-like mixture.
9.Pour the mixture into a greased baking pan and smooth it out with a rubber spatula to ensure even baking and a good appearance.
10.Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for forty to forty-five minutes or until the oatmeal achieves a pleasing golden-brown color on top, a knife inserted into its center comes out clean and free from liquid and the fragrance of baked oats, dried fruit and cinnamon perfumes your kitchen.
11.If you can bear the wait, allow the baked oatmeal to cool for five to ten minutes before cutting into squares and serving.

YIELD: 12 to 16 servings

TIME: 10 minutes (preparation), 8 to 12 hours (soaking), 40 to 45 minutes (baking)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails