Thursday, October 8, 2009

National Down Syndrome Awareness Month!

I've been struggling the last few days on what to write about National Down Syndrome Awareness Month. Down Syndrome is something very near and dear to my heart. I was blessed on August 31, 1989 with my daughter, Shawna Nicole. She was born with Down Syndrome. Shawna taught me things I never would have learned without her in my life. Because of her and who she was I would not be the person I am today. She was the absolute joy of my life. Sadly she passed away on August 26, 1991.

What I want people to know is, don't be afraid of Down Syndrome. It is not a death sentence. Having it doesn't mean you will live a dreadful life. People who have Down Syndrome are just like you and me. They go to school, they work, they play sports, they participate in making decisions about their lives, they get married, the list goes on. Life with someone who has Down Syndrome is really pretty "normal". There is nothing unique, strange or sad. Life changes, but doesn't that happen anyway?


Please click the button below :)



2 comments:

  1. Really appreciate you sharing your story and your perspective. As this is Down Syndrome Awareness Month, thought I’d invite you to check out this short video -- http://www.ahamoment.com/vote/barry -- about the aha moment of father of a child with Down Syndrome who learned what you can do with challenges. If you like his story, click to vote for him, as the top vote getters in the contest will be aha moment TV commercials next year. More media exposure around Down Syndrome awareness would be a very good thing.

    Thanks,
    jack@ahamoment.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. jack-aha-
    Thanks for stopping by and sharing the video! I loved it and voted for it. Hope the video wins!

    ReplyDelete

Print

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails