Saturday, August 13, 2011

Homegrown Chamomile

Homesteading August 2011 003I love chamomile tea! So much so that growing chamomile was on the top of my priority list of things to grown!  We got a late start getting it as the nursery didn’t have any until a few weeks after I inquired about it.  So thankful they went the extra mile and got some in!

I went out a few weeks ago and picked a bunch of it. Dried it and put it away for my winter stash.  Unfortunately, Maggie woke up this morning with a headache and just feeling kinda poopy, so she asked for her pillow, her Winnie The Pooh movie and a cup of chamomile tea.  I gladly obliged! 

Maggie perked up after she thought about the tea and said, “hey mom!  The flowers we grew made the tea and our bees made the honey!  That’s why this tastes so good!” 

So even though I was bummed the first of my winter stash was gone, I was so happy to provide something that I made, something I grew to make my baby feel better!

The flowers you see in the picture above were picked earlier this week and are in the process of drying now.  Looking forward to harvesting a lot more to get us through the winter!

2 comments:

  1. So cool for your youngin to see the connections and be able to enjoy the fruits of your labors. I'm growing chamomile for the first time this year an am hooked. I don't have much space, but I'm doubling what I'm giving these little flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made my heart really happy to hear her make the connection. I had one of those "this is why I do this" moments! Made it all worth it!

    I am LOVING growing this. What a gorgeous flower for your front yard landscape too. It's just a neat little flower.
    Do you have a chamomile harvester? I have been picking mine by hand. It's cumbersome, but not too bad. I can see where a harvester would make it so much easier!

    ReplyDelete

Print

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails